Tuesday 21 October 2014

Days 0-3 The first steps...

I had originally planned to blog every day but honestly I'd forgotten how the first couple of days at Juicy Oasis can really throw your plans for a loop!

Day 0 - Saturday
After a fairly painless journey from Heathrow where I'd met up with the lovely Emma (a friend from my week here at JO in early August), we finally arrived at the retreat around 10pm.  It was a little like coming home because it was very welcoming and seemingly little has changed!  They even had a juice waiting for us... one of my favs - the Blood Builder : http://www.juicemaster.com/recipes/smoothies/blood-builder
I'm not actually that keen on beetroot in juices but it works brilliantly here in combination with the pineapple, avocado, etc.

"Blood Builder" and room key. A Study with iphone shadow.

It was pretty late once I'd had the juice so after crashing my suitcases as little as possible and trying very hard not to wake my roommate, I got to bed.  I didn't succeed on the "non-waking" front but luckily I've been blessed with a lovely person to share with who didn't seem to mind being woken 4 times while I found toothbrush, pyjamas and then showered off the travel!  So far so very good.

Day 1 - Sunday

Having woken early enough to meet my roommate properly and firmly establish her awesomeness as she didn't mention any of my suitcase crashing, we headed down for juice and the welcome chat.  I was very happy to see Kate who had been resort manager on my previous week and is Jason's other half. 

She talked us through why we are here and also got everyone to introduce themselves and although there are only 31 of us here we are a diverse group age wise and in terms of country of origin.  Lots from the UK as expected but also USA, Canada, Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Brazil and I'm sure a few other places that I've forgotten!  And a nice range of juicing enthusiasts and people who are pretty much novices like me.  The 28 day program attracts people who are serious about getting well, getting fit or looking to address a specific health issue.  I think the mix of people is similar to those coming for a week (based on my enormous sample of 1 whole prior week here to judge that), but definitely has a few more of us who are looking for the kind of positive disease outcomes that the documentary showed.

Later on sunday I had an appointment with the nurse to get my stats done.  Weights and measures were expected but they also did a cholesterol test, blood pressure, blood sugar and checked my pee for proteins or something.
Everything was fine except the weight (well duh), the cholesterol which was high (again expected) and the blood pressure which was a little elevated but I put that slightly down to having just come from the beginners fitness class in the gym as well as the cuff REALLY hurting - super tight!  I was panting through the pain while the machine took the reading.  Doubt that gave an accurate reading under those circumstances, but honestly it's all about the difference between the two sets - they are measuring us again at the end!

Day 2 - Monday

Monday started with nausea and a pervading feeling of grottyness.  Nothing to do with the juice - this was caused by medication taken sunday night.  Thankfully I only have to take it once a week and the feeling wears off as the day goes on, but it put paid to any plans to join the morning walk.  This turned out to not be a terrible thing as others with mobility issues struggled with the incline plus gravel combination and I would have too.

In the afternoon I had my first colonic of this trip.  I'm having two - one at either end, and I'm glad it happened this afternoon because it certainly helped bring me out of my grotty feeling.  The nausea had thankfully passed at this point.  Colonics are a weird thing.  I would definitely recommend them as I felt so much better afterwards.  I felt lighter and somehow more myself.  It's hard to describe but its a good feeling. Monday ended with an early night because frankly I was cream crackered. (oops first unintentional food mention - DO NOT TALK ABOUT FOOD FIONA). (No really, I got told off for talking about food with someone earlier because others were within earshot and didn't want to hear it)


Day 3 - Tuesday

Having utterly failed to get to the walk yesterday I was DETERMINED to do it this morning.  I managed to get a really good nights sleep despite having to get up to pee - all the water has to come out as well as go in - and got down for my ginger shot on time at 8:45am.  

Todays walk interested me greatly because we'd been told it was the "flat one" and therefore most likely to be doable for me.  I didn't manage to do the whole thing but did get across the bridge before turning around.  The bridge was pretty fogged in which is a weird experience - we could see the bridge/road itself but nothing but fog rising from the lake either side. 
My fitbit says I did 1.3 miles but as my stride is pretty short I expect it was closer to 1 mile.  Still not bad though considering it was done before the first juice and therefore my meds!

View from the main balcony as the fog was just burnt off of the lake by the sun.
Later after juice and meds I managed to get into the gym and do another 11 or so minutes of treadmill to help me gain my step count.   This weeks target is 5K steps per day.

Then I fell asleep.  Then there was more juice. Then more sleep. Then more juice.  Also today I felt cold despite a high of 31 degrees here today.  I can only think this is all "day 3" syndrome because really I shouldn't have been tired.

Tomorrow there will be more of the same and more of the different.  I am LOVING the programme of stuff they've put together for us.  Lots of variety and new things to try.  I haven't gotten to it all yet but I will do as much as I can over the 28 days and you never know I might even find an exercise I can do and I like!

Day 1-3 face! Hopefully I can stumble into some better lighting for the next one.

Fi
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment